Sunday 7 September 2008

Pennine Way: Day 7 - Horton-in-Ribblesdale to Hawes

Sunday 7th September

Distance: 22km; Ascent:440m; with Lynsey

We didn't make quite as early start as planned today, possibly due to yesterday's late-ish finish; however we still probably managed to set off walking from the campsite at around 9:30am.  After a couple of kilometres walking we came across Sell Gill, where it tumbles impressively into the ground at the appropriately named Sell Gill Holes.

Sell Gill
Sell Gill Holes
We continued northwards with good views across to Ribblehead Viaduct and Whernside beyond.  An hour and half or so after leaving Sell Gill Holes we passed another beck dropping into a hole in the ground at Calf Hole.

Ribblehead Viaduct and Whernside
Beck above Calf Hole
Continuing on past Ling Gill we ascended up onto Cam Fell, where we met the Dales Way and the Cam High Road, an old Roman Road.  There were good views across the moorland as we followed the Cam High Road north-westwards, reminding me of our previous visit to this part of the Dales in 2006 to climb the nearby hills of Dodd Fell Hill and Drumaldrace.

Heading for Hawes on the West Cam Road
At Kidhow Gate we left the Cam High Road, which was now a tarmacked road, to fork left onto the West Cam Road, a track that lead to Hawes.  After around 4km, the Pennine Way left this track to take a route across the moorland and down through fields towards Hawes.

Looking down into Wensleydale
Our plan had been to descend to Hawes and order a taxi to Garsdale station whilst we had tea and cake somewhere.  However it was now apparent that if we did this we were going to struggle to catch our train, which would be somewhat of a pain owing to the infrequent nature of the service on this line.  Therefore instead as soon as we reached the surfaced track of Gaudy Lane, we arranged for a taxi to meet us outside the Market House in the town centre.  We walked there as quickly as we could as it was starting to rain!

We made it to the Market Hall at about the same time as our taxi, which dropped us off at Garsdale station around 10 minutes before our train.  Unfortunately there was no where to shelter at the station and so we were soaked by the time our train arrived, which meant that the train staff took pity on us and sorted us out a cup of tea each shortly after boarding!  Soon we were back in Settle after another good weekend of walking.

Written up in November 2012 from photos and memories

No comments:

Post a Comment